Analytics, Vendor Sourcing, Security, IT-as-a-Service….. These are the predictions from IDC for the coming few years.
To me the most interesting predictions were about greater reliance on partners, changing vendor sourcing relationships, changing mode of technology control.
IDC 2015 Predictions
(link to press note from IDC is at the end of the list of predictions.)
The predictions from the IDC FutureScape for CIO Agenda are:
- By 2017, 80% of the CIO’s time will be focused on analytics, cybersecurity and creating new revenue streams through digital services.
- By 2016, 65% of global competitive strategies will require real-time 3rdPlatform IT-as-a–Service (ITaaS).
- By 2016, security will be a top 3 business priority for 70% of CEOs of global enterprises.
- By 2015, 60% of CIOs will use DevOps as their primary tool to address the speed and sprawl of mobile, cloud, and open source applications.
- By 2016, 80% of CIOs will deliver a new architectural framework that enables innovation and improved business decision-making.
- By 2020, 60% of CIOs in global organizations will be supplanted by the Chief Digital Officer (CDO) for the delivery of IT-enabled products and digital services.
- By 2016, 80% of CIOs will accelerate 3rd Platform migration to counter premature obsolescence of current IT assets.
- By 2018, 30% of CIOs of global organizations will have rolled out a pan-enterprise data and analytics strategy.
- By 2017, 35% of vendor sourcing relationships around 3rd Platform technologies will fail, causing CIOs to roll out new sourcing processes.
- By 2018, 50% of CIOs will relinquish IT’s traditional mode of technology control in favor of an open standards-based framework.